- Africa (220)
- Americas (422)
- Archive (949)
- Asia (334)
- Australia (45)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (61)
- Pacific (164)
- Species Group (257)
- Taxonomy (176)
Five most recent topics
- A re-evaluation of the species limits in Asian white-eyes Zosterops: implications and an appeal for information to assess the status of the newly-recognised Sangkar White-eye Z. melanurus
- Brown-cheeked Bulbul (Alophoixus bres): request for information
- Seychelles White-eye (Zosterops modestus): revise global status?
- Maroon-tailed Parakeet (Pyrrhura melanura) is being split: assessment of newly recognised taxa.
- The newly described taxon Rote Leaf-warbler (Phylloscopus rotiensis) is to be recognized as a species by BirdLife International.
Tag Archives: Yelkouan Shearwater
Archived 2015 topics: Yelkouan Shearwater (Puffinus yelkouan) – downlist from Vulnerable to Least Concern?
Yelkouan Shearwater Puffinus yelkouan is endemic to the Mediterranean and Black Seas, breeding from S France and E Algeria east to Greece and Bulgaria; breeding is also suspected in Turkey, but still not proven (Carboneras et al. 2014). It is … Continue reading
To explore the impact of uncertainty on the overall trend and category, a number of alternative scenarios were also explored (see attached spreadsheet). When the trend assessments were re-run, only the most optimistic scenarios altered the potential Red List category (from Endangered to Vulnerable or Near Threatened), i.e. assuming Italy is experiencing the minimum decline rate and countries with unknown trends are stable.
This suggests that the species’s global status ought to be revised to Vulnerable under criterion A4b,c,d,e, as it is projected to suffer a rapid population reduction (30-49% decline over three generations). Comments on this proposal and any relevant information (particularly including trend information for additional countries) are invited. Continue reading