- Africa (211)
- Americas (376)
- Archive (946)
- Asia (320)
- Australia (42)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (59)
- Pacific (148)
- Species Group (238)
- Taxonomy (164)
Five most recent topics
- Dupont’s Lark (Chersophilus duponti): Request for information from North Africa
- Principe Speirops (Zosterops leucophaeus): revise global status?
- Tickell’s Brown Hornbill (Anorrhinus tickelli): request for information.
- Sichuan Treecreeper (Certhia tianquanensis): downlist from Near Threatened to Least Concern?
- Gurney’s Pitta (Hydrornis gurneyi): revise global status?
Tag Archives: Tsingy Wood Rail
Archived 2012-2013 topics: Tsingy Wood Rail (Canirallus beankaensis): newly recognised and Near Threatened?
Tsingy Wood Rail Canirallus beankaensis was recently described as a new species by Goodman et al. (2011), who studied the morphology, plumage and genetics of two specimens, in relation to that of Madagascar Wood Rail C. kioloides. It is proposed that the species be listed as Near Threatened under criteria B1a+b(iii,v); C2a(ii), on the basis that it has a very small range and probably has a small population, with continuing declines observed in the area, extent and/or quality of habitat and inferred to be taking place in the number of mature individuals, but with no information on the sub-population structure or evidence to suggest that the population is severely fragmented or restricted to a few locations. Continue reading