- Africa (220)
- Americas (422)
- Archive (949)
- Asia (334)
- Australia (45)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (61)
- Pacific (164)
- Species Group (257)
- Taxonomy (176)
Five most recent topics
- A re-evaluation of the species limits in Asian white-eyes Zosterops: implications and an appeal for information to assess the status of the newly-recognised Sangkar White-eye Z. melanurus
- Brown-cheeked Bulbul (Alophoixus bres): request for information
- Seychelles White-eye (Zosterops modestus): revise global status?
- Maroon-tailed Parakeet (Pyrrhura melanura) is being split: assessment of newly recognised taxa.
- The newly described taxon Rote Leaf-warbler (Phylloscopus rotiensis) is to be recognized as a species by BirdLife International.
- Yellow Sea shorebird habitats secure World Heritage listing July 5, 2019Key sites along the Chinese coastline of the Yellow Sea have secured World Heritage status, a lifeline for 17 globally threatened migratory shorebird species that rely on these habitats. The decision follows tireless advocacy from BirdLife Australia and reflects China’s role as a leader in global conservation.
- Record number of Blue-throated Macaw chicks fledged July 3, 2019A record number of Critically Endangered Blue-throated Macaw chicks fledged from nest boxes at a reserve in Bolivia this past year. This resulted in a total of 81 juvenile Blue-throated Macaws joining the wild adults, a significant addition to a species population that is estimated not to exceed 450 individuals.
- ‘Bird-safe window’ movement reaches over 5 million people July 3, 2019Colliding with glass is a big danger for birds. This year, our children’s programme Spring Alive inspired young people across Europe and Central Asia to take action to make their windows bird-safe, transforming schools, homes and reaching millions through prime time TV.
- Yellow Sea shorebird habitats secure World Heritage listing July 5, 2019
Tag Archives: Spain
This discussion was first published as part of the 2018 Red List update. At the time a decision regarding its status was pended, but to enable potential reassessment of this species as part of the 2019 Red List update this … Continue reading
Archived 2018 topic: Northern Bald Ibis (Geronticus eremita): downlist from Critically Endangered to Endangered?
This discussion was first published as part of the 2017 Red List update. At the time a decision regarding its status was pended, but to enable potential reassessment of the species as part of the 2018 Red List update this … Continue reading
Prior to del Hoyo and Collar (2016), the Iberian (Southern) Grey Shrike, Lanius meridionalis, was treated by BirdLife as a subspecies of L. excubitor, and by Handbook of the Birds of the World as a separate species that included Iberian, … Continue reading
Archived 2016 topics: Blue Chaffinch (Fringilla teydea) is being split: list F. teydea as Near Threatened and F. polatzeki as Critically Endangered or Endangered?
This is part of a consultation on the Red List implications of extensive changes to BirdLife’s taxonomy for passerines Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International will soon publish the second volume of the HBW-BirdLife Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the … Continue reading