- Africa (196)
- Americas (350)
- Archive (849)
- Asia (310)
- Australia (41)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (87)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (58)
- Pacific (140)
- Species Group (227)
- Taxonomy (161)
Five most recent topics
- Pale-throated Wren-babbler (Spelaeornis kinneari): revise global status?
- Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris): revise global status?
- Spectacled Eider (Somateria fischeri): request for information.
- Bahama Nuthatch (Sitta insularis): revise global status?
- Tawny Eagle (Aquila rapax): revise global status?
- Project to save the “Rhinoceros of the Caribbean” gets gold standard March 2, 2018OK, we admit it – it’s not really a rhinoceros. But the fascinating Rhinoceros Iguana Cyclura cornuta isn’t so-called for nothing. The horn on its head really does resemble that of a rhino – but on such a large reptile, it might be more apt to compare it to a dinosaur like the Triceratops. And it’s not […]
- Nature in the rich man’s world March 1, 2018Ariel Brunner calls for more funding for EU nature conservation in his editorial for the latest issue of the BirdLife Europe & Central Asia newsletter. Read the full issue – February Newsletter: The Silence of the Leaders All of us know the challenges of managing our budgets - of saving bit by bit for something […]
- The Silence of the Leaders March 1, 2018A ‘Silence of the Lambs’-inspired demonstration organised by BirdLife in Brussels last Friday saw 133 European NGOs demand more money for the EU to protect biodiversity. With nature conservation glaringly absent from the discussions on the future of Europe, civil society called on those gathered to break the ‘Silence of the Leaders’.
- Project to save the “Rhinoceros of the Caribbean” gets gold standard March 2, 2018
Tag Archives: Short-tailed Scimitar-babbler
Archived 2016 topics: Short-tailed Scimitar-babbler (Jabouilleia danjoui) is being moved to genus Rimator and split: list Rimator danjoui as Near Threatened and R. naungmungensis as Vulnerable or Endangered?
This is part of a consultation on the Red List implications of extensive changes to BirdLife’s taxonomy for passerines Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International will soon publish the second volume of the HBW-BirdLife Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the … Continue reading
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Short-tailed Scimitar-babbler (Jabouilleia danjoui): downlist to Least Concern?
Following the description of a taxon from northern Myanmar (Rappole et al. 2005) that BirdLife recognises as a subspecies (naungmungensis) of J. danjoui, the species is now considered to have larger range than previously thought and shows some tolerance of habitat modification as it is able to survive in secondary forest. It is suggested that this species be downlisted to Least Concern as it is unlikely to approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under any of the IUCN criteria. Further information on this species is requested, especially on the likely population size and rate of decline over a period of 17 years. Continue reading