- Africa (196)
- Americas (350)
- Archive (849)
- Asia (310)
- Australia (41)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (87)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (58)
- Pacific (140)
- Species Group (227)
- Taxonomy (161)
Five most recent topics
- Pale-throated Wren-babbler (Spelaeornis kinneari): revise global status?
- Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris): revise global status?
- Spectacled Eider (Somateria fischeri): request for information.
- Bahama Nuthatch (Sitta insularis): revise global status?
- Tawny Eagle (Aquila rapax): revise global status?
- Rapid response turns shrinking Kenyan lake into protected area March 14, 2018Lake Ol Bolossat is a small lake in the Nyandarua County of central Kenya. It lies nestled between the northwestern slopes of Aberdare Mountains and the Dundori Ridge, and serves as the source of the Ewaso Nyiro River and Thomson’s falls. The open water, marshes, grassland and forests – not to mention the springs that feed the […]
- New report: South Africa’s seabirds, raptors in serious decline March 12, 2018For bird lovers, South Africa has always been a great place to be. From the world’s largest bird, Common Ostrich Struthio camelus to the tiny Cape Penduline-Tit Anthoscopus minutus the country boasts an impressive amount of avian biodiversity. A new study from BirdLife South Africa, however, shows that the past few years have not been […]
- The Lazarus Effect: protect one species, resurrect a whole forest March 8, 2018A version of this article first appeared in Forest & Bird magazine. To find out more about conservation in New Zealand, see https://issuu.com/forestandbird It rained in the night. My pack is heavy with rat bait, and I am following East 5, a bait line marked with pink ribbon, through the forest. Up, down, up the […]
- Rapid response turns shrinking Kenyan lake into protected area March 14, 2018
Tag Archives: Seychelles
Aldabra Fody (Foudia aldabrana) was recently split from F. eminentissima (see forum topic regarding this split here). Endemic to scrub, Casuarina woodland and coconut groves on Aldabra (Craig 2016), this species was assessed when split in 2016 as Near Threatened under … Continue reading
Archived 2016 topics: Red-headed Fody (Foudia eminentissima) is being split: list F. aldabrana as Near Threatened and F. consobrina as Least Concern? Request for information on F. eminentissima
This is part of a consultation on the Red List implications of extensive changes to BirdLife’s taxonomy for passerines Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International will soon publish the second volume of the HBW-BirdLife Illustrated Checklist of the Birds of the … Continue reading
Archived 2016 topics: Seychelles White-eye (Zosterops modestus): downlist from Endangered to Vulnerable?
BirdLife species factsheet for Seychelles White-eye: http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/factsheet/22714018 Previous forum discussion on Seychelles White-eye: https://globally-threatened-bird-forums.birdlife.org/2014/08/seychelles-white-eye-zosterops-modestus-downlist-to-vulnerable/ This species is found on Conception and Mahé Islands of the Seychelles, and translocations to North Island, Frégate and Cousine have occurred. It is currently listed … Continue reading