- Africa (211)
- Americas (376)
- Archive (860)
- Asia (320)
- Australia (42)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (59)
- Pacific (148)
- Species Group (238)
- Taxonomy (164)
Five most recent topics
- Shelley’s Eagle-owl (Bubo shelleyi): revise global status?
- Le Conte’s Thrasher (Toxostoma lecontei): request for information.
- Lark Bunting (Calamospiza melanocorys): revise global status?
- Henslow’s Sparrow (Passerculus henslowii): revise global status?
- Harris’s Sparrow (Zonotrichia querula): revise global status?
Tag Archives: São Tomé Green-pigeon
Sao Tome Green-pigeon (Treron sanctithomae) is now only found on the island of São Tomé, São Tomé and Príncipe having formerly also occurred on the nearby Ilhéu das Rolas. It is predominantly a forest species, but will tolerate some forest … Continue reading
Archived 2010-2011 topics: Are São Tomé’s pigeons more threatened by hunting than current Red List status suggests?
Maroon Pigeon Columba thomensis , São Tomé Bronze-naped Pigeon Columba malherbii and São Tomé Green-pigeon Treron sanctithomae are all endemic to the islands of São Tomé, Príncipe and Annobón. Maroon Pigeon, currently listed as Vulnerable under criterion D1, occurs only on São Tomé as does the Least Concern São Tomé Green-pigeon, while the Least Concern São Tomé Bronze-naped Pigeon occurs on São Tomé, Príncipe and Annobón. All three species may be eligible for uplisting owing to the effects of hunting pressure. Comments on these potential category revisions are welcomed, particularly estimates of population size and rate of decline for these species. Continue reading