- Africa (211)
- Americas (376)
- Archive (946)
- Asia (320)
- Australia (42)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (59)
- Pacific (148)
- Species Group (238)
- Taxonomy (164)
Five most recent topics
- Dupont’s Lark (Chersophilus duponti): Request for information from North Africa
- Principe Speirops (Zosterops leucophaeus): revise global status?
- Tickell’s Brown Hornbill (Anorrhinus tickelli): request for information.
- Sichuan Treecreeper (Certhia tianquanensis): downlist from Near Threatened to Least Concern?
- Gurney’s Pitta (Hydrornis gurneyi): revise global status?
Tag Archives: Ribbon-tailed Drongo
Mapping of the species’s range by BirdLife indicates that it has an EOO of only c.7,000 km2, which meets the range size threshold for Vulnerable under criterion B1; however, formerly there was uncertainty over the trends in its distribution and population. A recently published analysis of forest loss in Papua New Guinea indicates that c.21% of forest cover was lost in New Ireland between 1972 and 2002, with over half of that loss attributed to logging, and clearance for subsistence agriculture also having a marked impact (Shearman et al. 2009). Continue reading