- Africa (211)
- Americas (376)
- Archive (860)
- Asia (320)
- Australia (42)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (59)
- Pacific (148)
- Species Group (236)
- Taxonomy (164)
Five most recent topics
- Shelley’s Eagle-owl (Bubo shelleyi): revise global status?
- Le Conte’s Thrasher (Toxostoma lecontei): request for information.
- Lark Bunting (Calamospiza melanocorys): revise global status?
- Henslow’s Sparrow (Passerculus henslowii): revise global status?
- Harris’s Sparrow (Zonotrichia querula): revise global status?
- BirdLife wins big at Natura 2000 Awards 2018 May 18, 2018Five BirdLife partners scooped up awards for project work to protect Europe’s precious natural heritage at the annual Natura 2000 Awards ceremony in Brussels last night. In the April edition of our monthly newsletter from Europe & Central Asia, we proudly reported that BirdLife national partners had swept up nearly a third of the nominations […]
- Spain's traditional saltpans: an unlikely bird haven May 17, 2018Rays of sunlight break through a cloud of dark orange dust as the trundling van’s door slides open. It doesn’t feel right to be driving along in an enclosed box, and despite the dust, the warm air is a welcome link with the outside. And what a sight: pink hues in the lagoon’s water, rustling […]
- Scientists brave white-water rapids in search of Critically Endangered wren May 16, 2018With stark cliff walls over 1,600 meters high, the Chicamocha canyon is the deepest in Colombia. Unfortunately for biologists, its difficult terrain houses a number of endemic species. It was in order to confirm the presence of one of these species – Nicéforo’s Wren Thryophilus nicefori – that four biologists from Calidris (BirdLife in Colombia) […]
- BirdLife wins big at Natura 2000 Awards 2018 May 18, 2018
Tag Archives: Portugal
Prior to del Hoyo and Collar (2016), the Iberian (Southern) Grey Shrike, Lanius meridionalis, was treated by BirdLife as a subspecies of L. excubitor, and by Handbook of the Birds of the World as a separate species that included Iberian, … Continue reading
Azores Bullfinch Pyrrhula murina is confined to the east of the island of São Miguel in the Azores (Portugal). It is currently listed as Endangered under Criteria B1ab(iii)+2ab(iii), as it occurs at only one locality (Pico da Vara/Ribeira do Guilherme … Continue reading