- Africa (211)
- Americas (376)
- Archive (860)
- Asia (320)
- Australia (42)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (59)
- Pacific (148)
- Species Group (236)
- Taxonomy (164)
Five most recent topics
- Shelley’s Eagle-owl (Bubo shelleyi): revise global status?
- Le Conte’s Thrasher (Toxostoma lecontei): request for information.
- Lark Bunting (Calamospiza melanocorys): revise global status?
- Henslow’s Sparrow (Passerculus henslowii): revise global status?
- Harris’s Sparrow (Zonotrichia querula): revise global status?
- Eat chocolate, save a rainforest - the Gola Cocoa Project tells you how May 22, 2018Gbessay Sannoh and Bockerie Sama are standing in a shady rainforest amongst the whooping sounds of hornbills and leafy cocoa trees. They’re at the edge of the Gola Rainforest in Sierra Leone, where for generations thousands of cocoa trees have been grown by their people – the Goleagorbu, small-scale farmers. While chatting and joking they […]
- The Comeback Kids: five birds brought back from the brink May 21, 2018People often underestimate nature’s power to bounce back. Give it half a chance, and habitats will start to regrow, populations recover. There’s no denying that humans create huge challenges – but with enough support, dedication and resources, we can also reverse them. And the minute we do, nature is there in the wings, waiting to […]
- BirdLife wins big at Natura 2000 Awards 2018 May 18, 2018Five BirdLife partners scooped up awards for project work to protect Europe’s precious natural heritage at the annual Natura 2000 Awards ceremony in Brussels last night. In the April edition of our monthly newsletter from Europe & Central Asia, we proudly reported that BirdLife national partners had swept up nearly a third of the nominations […]
- Eat chocolate, save a rainforest - the Gola Cocoa Project tells you how May 22, 2018
Tag Archives: Javan White-eye
While historically recognised as a threat to species, the cage bird trade, and in particular the Indonesian songbird trade has been receiving more attention as a key driver behind species declines in Asia (see Chng et al. 2015, Eaton et al. 2015, Harris et al. 2015, … Continue reading
Archived 2016 topics: Javan White-eye (Zosterops flavus): uplist from Near Threatened to Vulnerable?
Zosterops flavus is currently assessed as Near Threatened on the basis that it has a highly restricted and fragmented range and is likely to be declining moderately as a result of habitat loss, but that the species could still be … Continue reading