- Africa (197)
- Americas (352)
- Archive (849)
- Asia (313)
- Australia (41)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (88)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (59)
- Pacific (141)
- Species Group (229)
- Taxonomy (161)
Five most recent topics
- Coral-billed Ground-cuckoo (Carpococcyx renauldi): revise global status?
- Green Peafowl (Pavo muticus) – revise global status?
- Black-billed Gull (Larus bulleri): revise global status?
- Moustached Warbler (Acrocephalus melanopogon): request for information.
- Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus): revise global status?
- How do we spread word about the biodiversity crisis? Experts weigh in. April 16, 2018How do we raise awareness about the biodiversity crisis facing the world? This was the problem put to six experts (including Sir David Attenborough) at a panel held at BirdLife’s Cambridge office, the Cambridge Conservation Initiative, on 12 April. It’s a tough one. Right now, species are going extinct at a rate up to 1,000 […]
- “The world has cause for optimism”: Sir David Attenborough’s keynote speech April 13, 2018Biodiversity loss is a huge problem for the conservation community. Not only are extinctions occurring at a rate up to 1,000 times normal levels, but public awareness about this crisis is lagging far behind that of other environmental issues such as climate change. It was precisely to address this problem that the Godfather of modern […]
- Sir David Attenborough joins world experts in calling for action for nature April 12, 2018Public lecture and panel discussion: “Setting a new post-2020 biodiversity agenda – the communications challenge”, 12 April, Cambridge, UK Experts warn that the loss of biodiversity is at least as great a threat to our planet as climate change - but how can we communicate this urgent concern in a way that will inspire action? This is […]
- How do we spread word about the biodiversity crisis? Experts weigh in. April 16, 2018
Tag Archives: Great-billed Seed-finch
Archived 2017 topics: Great-billed Seed-finch (Sporophila maximiliani): uplist from Vulnerable to Endangered?
This discussion was first published as part of the 2016 Red List update. At the time a decision regarding its status was pended, but to enable potential reassessment of this species as part of the 2017 Red List update this … Continue reading
Archived 2012-2013 topics: Great-billed Seed-finch (Oryzoborus maximiliani): request for information
Great-billed Seed-finch Oryzoborus maximiliani is listed as Near Threatened under criteria A2c,d; A3c,d; A4c,d on the basis that it is suspected to be undergoing a slow to moderately rapid population decline, estimated at 1-19% over 10 years. Up-to-date information is requested, in particular the likely total population size, the current population trend over 11 years (estimate of three generations) and the severity of threats. Continue reading