- Africa (220)
- Americas (422)
- Archive (949)
- Asia (334)
- Australia (45)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (61)
- Pacific (164)
- Species Group (257)
- Taxonomy (176)
Five most recent topics
- A re-evaluation of the species limits in Asian white-eyes Zosterops: implications and an appeal for information to assess the status of the newly-recognised Sangkar White-eye Z. melanurus
- Brown-cheeked Bulbul (Alophoixus bres): request for information
- Seychelles White-eye (Zosterops modestus): revise global status?
- Maroon-tailed Parakeet (Pyrrhura melanura) is being split: assessment of newly recognised taxa.
- The newly described taxon Rote Leaf-warbler (Phylloscopus rotiensis) is to be recognized as a species by BirdLife International.
Tag Archives: Buff-browed Chachalaca
Archived 2011-2012 topics: Buff-browed Chachalaca (Ortalis superciliaris): downlist to Least Concern?
Recent observations of the species in human-altered habitats such as eucalyptus plantations and young secondary forest (A. Lees in litt. 2011) suggest that it has a high tolerance of habitat degradation and disturbance. It has been suggested that the severe level of deforestation around Paragominas in the state of Pará has probably increased the area of suitable habitat for this species. No evidence was found during three months of fieldwork in this area to suggest it is a regular target for hunters (A. Lees in litt. 2011). It is proposed that the species be downlisted to Least Concern, as it is no longer believed to approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under any of the IUCN criteria. Comments are invited on this proposal and further information on its population size is requested. Continue reading