This discussion was first published on Dec 3 2010 as part of the 2010-2011 Red List update, but remains open for comment to enable reassessment in 2013. A large-scale re-evaluation of species limits among Pyrrhura parakeets has resulted in, amongst other changes, the transferring of the taxon emma of Venezuela from P. leucotis into P. picta (SACC 2008, 2010). The species Pyrrhura leucotis is now restricted to Brazil, where it is found in to lowland and foothill (up to 500 m) forest from Bahia south of the Jequitinhonha river, south to Espirito Santo, parts of eastern Bahia and Rio de Janeiro. The southernmost population now occurs in Serra do Tinguá (22˚36’S, 43˚27’W). In southern Bahia it has been recently found in only 4 of 30 surveyed areas, and seems associated with the now very reduced “matas de tabuleiro”, and it has undoubtedly undergone significant population declines. Prior to this reorganisation P. leucotis was classified as Near Threatened, and it was noted that the Brazilian population was far more highly threatened than the birds in Venezuela: it seems likely that following this taxonomic change leucotis may warrant a higher category of threat. Information on population size and trend (to be assessed over a period of 18 years/three generations – BirdLife International unpubl. data), together with comments on the threat from trade (if any) and the ability of the species to persist in degraded habitats and isolated fragments of forest are requested. SACC (2008). Proposal 206: Redefine species limits in Pyrrhura picta and leucotis complexes SACC (2010). Proposal 403: Elevate Pyrrhura griseipectus to species rank
- Africa (211)
- Americas (376)
- Archive (946)
- Asia (320)
- Australia (42)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (59)
- Pacific (148)
- Species Group (238)
- Taxonomy (164)
Five most recent topics
- Dupont’s Lark (Chersophilus duponti): Request for information from North Africa
- Principe Speirops (Zosterops leucophaeus): revise global status?
- Tickell’s Brown Hornbill (Anorrhinus tickelli): request for information.
- Sichuan Treecreeper (Certhia tianquanensis): downlist from Near Threatened to Least Concern?
- Gurney’s Pitta (Hydrornis gurneyi): revise global status?