- Africa (211)
- Americas (376)
- Archive (860)
- Asia (320)
- Australia (42)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (90)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (59)
- Pacific (148)
- Species Group (236)
- Taxonomy (164)
Five most recent topics
- Shelley’s Eagle-owl (Bubo shelleyi): revise global status?
- Le Conte’s Thrasher (Toxostoma lecontei): request for information.
- Lark Bunting (Calamospiza melanocorys): revise global status?
- Henslow’s Sparrow (Passerculus henslowii): revise global status?
- Harris’s Sparrow (Zonotrichia querula): revise global status?
- Many voices, one song: children across Africa sing for migratory birds May 11, 2018This year, to celebrate World Migratory Bird Day, we wanted to do something really special. So we asked schools and BirdLife Partners across the African continent to send in videos of them singing songs about the wonders of bird migration. The results blew us away. The videos were amazing – and all but one were […]
- Great White Pelican discovery in Turkey May 9, 2018A major stopover site of Europe’s Great White Pelicans has recently been discovered in Turkey. A count conducted by our Turkish partner Doğa Derneği showed that more than 15,000 pelicans stop off at the Karacabey Floodplain to roost and feed during their spring migration. The Sea of Marmara may be the smallest sea in the […]
- Incredible “Incubator Bird” to be saved by rat removal on Pacific island May 8, 2018Read the project press release here The Micronesian Scrubfowl Megapodius laperouse is a genius at inventing ways to keep its eggs warm. Those on the Northern Mariana Islands burrow into volcanic cinder fields or use the geothermal heat beneath the ground to warm their unhatched young. Across the Palau archipelago, they bury their eggs in large […]
- Many voices, one song: children across Africa sing for migratory birds May 11, 2018
Tag Archives: French Polynesia
BirdLife species factsheet for Newell’s Shearwater: http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/newells-shearwater-puffinus-newelli Follow a taxonomic reassessment, Newell’s Shearwater (Puffinus newelli), has been split into Newell’s Shearwater (P. newelli) and Rapa Shearwater (P. myrtae). The newly defined Newell’s Shearwater breeds on Hawaiian Islands, predominantly on … Continue reading
Raiatea Fruit-dove (Ptilinopus chrysogaster) is found only in the Leeward Islands (Society Islands), French Polynesia, where it is restricted to the islands of Raiatea, Tahaa, Huahine, Bora Bora and Maupiti. The species is poorly known, but on Raiatea at least … Continue reading
BirdLife species factsheet for Rapa Fruit-dove: http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/rapa-fruit-dove-ptilinopus-huttoni The Rapa fruit-dove (Ptilinopus huttoni) is endemic to the tiny island of Rapa in the Tubuai Islands, French Polynesia, where its population was estimated at 274 individuals (175-368) in 1989-1990 (Thibault and Varney … Continue reading
BirdLife Species factsheet for Polynesian Imperial-pigeon: http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/polynesian-imperial-pigeon-ducula-aurorae Polynesian Imperial-pigeon, Ducula aurorae, is currently listed as Endangered under criterion D on the basis that it has been estimated to have a very small population, and probably only occurs on only … Continue reading
BirdLife Species factsheet for Ultramarine Lorikeet: http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/ultramarine-lorikeet-vini-ultramarina Ultramarine Lorikeet, Vini ultramarina, is endemic to the Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia. Once occurring on several islands in the group it has gone extinct on all bar one of these. On Ua … Continue reading
BirdLife Species factsheet for Ouvea Parakeet: http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/ouvea-parakeet-eunymphicus-uvaeensis Endemic to the island of Ouvea, French Polynesia, Ouvea Parakeet, Eunymphicus uvaeensis, is currently listed as Endangered under criterion B1ab(iii) as it was believed to be restricted to a small area of … Continue reading
Archived 2017 topics: Rimatara Reed-warbler (Acrocephalus rimitarae): uplist to Critically Endangered?
BirdLife species factsheet for Rimatara Reed-warbler: http://datazone.birdlife.org/species/factsheet/rimatara-reed-warbler-acrocephalus-rimitarae Rimatara Reed-warbler, Acrocephalus rimitarae, is endemic to the small island of Rimatara in the Austral Islands of French Polynesia, with a Minimum Convex Polygon Extent of Occurrence of only 10km2. The species … Continue reading
Iphis Monarch, Pomarea iphis, is restricted to the island of Ua Huka in the Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia. The species appears to prefer forested habitat, with breeding individuals found in native low- to mid-elevation moist/wet forest and locally in dry … Continue reading
The Marquesas Ground-dove, Alopecoenas rubescens, is restricted to two small islets (Hatuta’a and Fatu Huku) in the Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia. It inhabits wooded areas and shrubby vegetation on these islands, with individuals on Hatuta’a favouring the plateau and only … Continue reading