- Africa (195)
- Americas (347)
- Archive (849)
- Asia (304)
- Australia (41)
- AZE (Alliance for Zero Extinction) (16)
- Europe & Central Asia (87)
- Illegal killing of birds (2)
- Middle East (57)
- Pacific (139)
- Species Group (224)
- Taxonomy (161)
Five most recent topics
- Species to be potentially uplisted after a reassessment of species against criterion A, following Tracewski et al. (2016)
- ko’ko’/Guam Rail (Hypotaenidia owstoni): revise global status?
- Dupont’s Lark (Chersophilus duponti): Request for information from North Africa
- Black-fronted Francolin (Pternistis atrifrons): revise global status?
- Aldabra Fody (Foudia aldabrana): revise global status?
- How to design a conservation project: masterclass turns ideas into reality January 17, 2018It doesn’t matter how good an idea is if it’s not communicated effectively. You could have a vision for a conservation project that would save the world – but unless your project proposal passes muster, it’s unlikely to get funded. That’s why it’s so important to bridge the gap between ideas and implementation. Right now, […]
- Do not disturb: the life rafts keeping pelicans afloat January 17, 2018One watchful, grey eye appears behind a shroud of silvery-white wing feathers that conceal a massive orange beak and leathery pouch. The pelican barely keeps its eyelids open after hours spent hunting fish on the lake, but then two play-fighting chicks clumsily step close to the edge of the floating nest platform and one’s mother […]
- Five years' success for African mountain hotspot - bring on phase two! January 10, 2018Rocky mountain peaks push up out of a lush green carpet of forest, shaded by scuttling clouds. Many of these mountains were born from fire, breaking into the world as volcanoes, but now their appearance couldn’t be more tranquil. This is the Eastern Afromontane Hotspot, a site of incredible importance for over 10,000 species of […]
- How to design a conservation project: masterclass turns ideas into reality January 17, 2018
Tag Archives: Eye-ringed Thistletail
Eye-ringed Thistletail Schizoeaca palpebralis is currently listed as Least Concern because it was not thought to approach the thresholds for Vulnerable under any of the IUCN criteria. Recently, it has been suggested that this species should be listed as Endangered on the basis that it has a restricted range in which it is threatened by habitat clearance for agriculture (Engblom 2010). Continue reading